What are the most PCOS-friendly snacks? Snacks are super important when you have PCOS, since you don’t want to skip any meals or get to the point where you’re starving and want to put all the refined carbs in your face (I’ve been there). Here are some ideas that are both PCOS and fertility-friendly:
Nut-Based Snacks for PCOS
- Trail mix – this easy go-to snack combines anti-inflammatory nuts and fruit and has the protein you need to keep blood sugar in check.
- Nut butter on toast – Slather nut butter on whole grain toast for a tasty, easy snack that is great for PCOS.
Fruit-Based Snacks for PCOS
- Smoothies – It’s so easy to pack in a bunch of PCOS power nutrients to a smoothie like anti-inflammatory fruits and veg, protein powder, flax meal, cinnamon and chia seeds.
- Yogurt (either dairy or plant-based) – This is also an easy way to get in beneficial probiotics. Add in fruits, nuts, seeds, cinnamon for blood sugar balance, ginger for its added anti-inflammatory effects and voila! You have a PCOS super snack.
- Fruit and nut butter or cheese – We know that higher fruit intake is associated with better fertility, plus it’s tasty! Try to get in a variety for a variety of types of antioxidants and add in some protein like peanut butter, almond butter, goat cheese or nut cheese to help it keep you full longer and keep blood sugar in check.
Bean-Based Snacks for PCOS
- Roasted chickpeas – Delicious and full of fiber, coat chickpease in anti-inflammatory olive oil and spices and throw them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Hummus and other bean dips – Home-made or store bought, hummus and bean dip gives you the benefit of beans with healthy fats.
- Nachos – Yup, nachos can be PCOS-friendly. You just need to make sure you have a generous portion of beans, some veggies, avocado and whatever cheese you like.
Savory Snacks for PCOS
- Veggies and Dip – The humble crudité platter can often be overlooked, but sometimes fresh veggies and dip just hits the spot. Plus, you get the fiber and antioxidants you need to conquer PCOS symptoms!
- Whole grain toast with fish or tofu – Yup, you can pack in those omegas if you like smoked salmon or tuna. In Denmark they call it Smorbrod, and it can be surprisingly delicious. Try it on rye bread with cream cheese and chives. Not into fish? Go for baked tofu and hummus.
- Whole grain crackers loaded with protein – Be sure your cracker is whole grain, load with your favorite cheese or vegan cheese, tuna or tofurkey and top with a pickle. I swear it works!
- Kale Chips – This is one of my favorite ways to consume kale. Just add olive oil and spices and roast in your oven to your preferred crispiness.